What To Buy In November
November 1st, 2013
What To Buy In November
The start of November brings the official start of the holiday shopping season. Do you have your plan for Black Friday
is already posting the circulars. And some businesses like JC Penny and Macy’s are planning on opening up Thursday evening for super sales for the first time. You can find a list here at About.com of the companies that will be open Thanksgiving
for pre-Black Friday sales.
Do you think that’s a good idea? Have you ever waited in line for a 4am opening?
The Best Stuff To Buy Today
You know what you should buy today through Sunday? Yes. Candy. Costumes. Halloween decorations, plates, napkins, and just about everything orange and black. Make sure you store them in a solid container, and that you remember what you bought.
The Best Stuff to Buy This Month
- Turkeys – This is the best time of year to stock up on turkeys. If you have freezer space, get extras to use throughout the rest of the year.
- 46″ HDTVs – But….watch the brands and watch the prices. Some are good deals (like off brand 42″-55″) but others will be cheaper in January and early February after the new models have been announced at the Consumer Electronics Show.
- Cookware – Get your mitts on cookware and cutlery sets, bake ware, small appliances, and more. Many stores have sales touting the Best Of The Year
- Wedding Gowns – Because there’s a general lack of interest in wedding gowns, there’s more opportunity to haggle with the store and get a better price.
- Tools and Hardware – Like cookware, look for “editor’s choice” or “best of the year” recommendations at good prices.
- iPad 4 deals – Check out the Apple store or online for good deals on Black Friday weekend.
- Winter clothing – Usually, you’ll see deals for apparel in the middle of it’s season, and we’re still in the Fall. However, you should start to notice a lot of coupons and sales leading up to great sales on Black Friday.
- Home Improvement Services – Many contractors have little to do during the winter months partly because people are spending their money on entertaining and gifts. So take advantage while business is slow and look for deals on carpeting, flooring and other renovation services.
- Out Of The Box Electronics – Stores don’t want to keep around returned items so look for opportunities to get better deals on practically new merchandise. Most have the same warranty. Look to get about 30% off just because the box was opened.
- Food Storage – Many markets put these at fire sale prices because they know people need places to put leftovers, or for cookie exchanges, or sending leftovers home with the guests.
What Not to Buy This Month
- iPad 2 (and probably the mini – Apple did not lower the price even with the announcement of the new iPad announcements.
- Toys – The best deals are usually in the middle of December. Sure, it may feel like you’re waiting until the last minute, but the prices are usually better.
Food In Season
So, what’s in season?
- Sweet potatoes
- Winter squash
Don’t forget to pull out the food you canned earlier this year!